Friday, February 1, 2008

Music : Rise of the local band



I can say that Malaysian music was like "durian session". It come and go with the flow. I remember when our local music industry was "struck" by hip-hop, it was like everyday was hip-hop day. Radio station plays hip-hop song and also the rise of hip-hop group. During that time, I'm not even interested in hip-hop music. Maybe its not my kind of music. I'm preferring listening to "outsiders" than local band and thats the reality. I'm tired listening to all the "jiwang karat" song and i don't think they realize that there's no creative music flows in the local music industry. I think maybe our local music doesn't improve like what i was expected. Recently, maybe i was wrong because this session, it is the rise of the local band.

As i wrote this blog, I'm listening to our local indie band : Hujan & Meet Uncle Hussain. They were great indie band who was recently going mainstream. For those who follows the underground band i think they were pleased to see Hujan and Meet Uncle Hussain was accepted by public. Their music was not something new to our local scene because OAG was there in the past but with the combination of good lyric and creativity in music, i can see they will go far and become one of the best indie band like OAG. Hujan already have tight schedule of gigs and performance. Meet Uncle Hussain have been doing soundtrack of "Kami". Local radio station often plays their songs. I think this is good for the local music industry because with the rise of local indie band, we can stop the dominance of Indonesian band. Not to say that Indonesian band wasn't good but we have to support local band and also our local music industry. I wish to see more creative band like this indie band rise from underground scene and shows public what great music are.

No comments: